An angry appendix

Posted by steve | General Commentary | Sunday 1 November 2009 8:24 am

We had quite an interesting weekend.  Friday morning Nicholas complained that he had pain in his abdomen.  Melissa got on the Internet and looked up his symptoms and it looked as if Nicholas might be having a problem with his appendix.

We discussed the situation briefly, decided he wasn’t going to school that morning, and she called the doctor’s office.  I went to work.

While I was at work, Melissa heard back from the doctor’s office and after hearing his symptoms they recommended that Nicholas be immediately taken to Children’s Hospital ER.  At the hospital they determined that he did indeed have an inflamed appendix and that they would be performing surgery to remove it.  Melissa informed me right away and I left the office to be with her at the hospital.

Because of the H1N1 flu problems, everyone at the hospital was wearing masks.  Here’s the two of us while we were waiting to hear how the surgery went.  

Melissa waiting
Me waiting too

Nicholas went into surgery around 10:30.

After a little while the surgeon came out to see us.   He showed us a number of photographs from the procedure.  Here’s one.

the angry appendix

The appendix is that curly looking thing in the top picture. I’d never seen one before.

It took a while before they released him from post-op.  I think it took a while for him to come out of the effects of the general anesthetic.

Finally, they brought him up to his hospital room for him to recover and be observed by the hospital. Here’s a picture from right when he was rolled into his room.


Melissa spent the night with Nicholas in the hotel room.  She slept on a very hard uncomfortable looking “padded slab”.  I went home, thinking I would be getting up in the morning to go into work (on Saturday) just to see what I may have missed from Friday.

I got home around 8:30 PM that evening.

Later that night I exchanged several e-mails with folks from work and decided that I didn’t need to go in on Saturday.

The next morning I went back to the hospital and waited there with Nicholas and Melissa for him to recover enough for them to release him.  The good news is that he was eating, but still in some pain.

We were able to leave around 1:30 PM Saturday.  It was quite an interesting weekend.  Nicholas is doing better and will have probably 2 half-days beginning the school week, and at the advice of the surgeon, no Gym class activity for about 2 weeks.



  1. Comment by Weasel Wif — November 1, 2009 @ 8:54 am

    That darker, lump stuff you see to the right of the appendix is poop. I am an expert in all things poop. LOL! In other words, Nicholas is full of shit!

  2. Comment by Cyril Welsh — May 28, 2010 @ 2:33 am

    If I had a penny for every time I came here… Amazing article!

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.